This Page

has been moved to new address

Two Airport Finds and the Truth About the Salted Caramel Mocha

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
No Thanks to Cake: Two Airport Finds and the Truth About the Salted Caramel Mocha

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Two Airport Finds and the Truth About the Salted Caramel Mocha

I traveled this week again, spending some time in Salt Lake City, then off to Helena and then to Bozeman and then back home again.  Phew! 


A Pretty SLC Sunset as I took off for Helena
I had a pretty fabulous food find in Bozeman airport, which inspired today's post and made me remember how much I liked a snack I found at Chicago Midway!  Sharing both ideas with you today!


LOOK WHAT I FOUND IN BOZEMAN AIRPORT
Best Vending Machine EVER


FRESH HEALTHY VENDING!!!  I googled to find out more information and found a LOT!  Rather than the usual crap you see in vending machines, this one is stocked full of tasty healthy snacks - - Terra Veggie ChipsPirate's Booty, Raw Almonds, Naked Juice.... All on the healthy side!  This is the first time I've seen this vending machine, but I'm certainly determined to find more.  If you're traveling through the new and improved Bozeman airport... stop by this guy!  I MAY have had Pirate's Booty for my snack today.... I just love that stuff!  


SPOTTED IN CHICAGO MIDWAY
Last month when I traveled to Chicago for the weekend, I was PLEASANTLY surprised to find this deliciousness on the A Concourse right near gate A1.  It was at a news stand/food shop right next to the gate.


JACKPOT!
VERY fresh and HEALTHY choices... I ended up buying a little container that had sliced cucumbers, sliced peppers, and baby carrots + a container with about 2 Tbsp. of lowfat dill dip.  BEST.  SNACK.  EVERl  As I ate it on the plane, I seriously thought it was brilliant and couldn't figure out why I hadn't thought of packing something tasty like this when I catch planes.  If I flew through Chicago more often, I wouldn't have to pack it.  Hmmmm...


THE TRUTH ABOUT THE STARBUCKS SALTED CARAMEL MOCHA


I confessed my obsession with this hot, tasty beverage earlier in the week and was determined to find out the stats.  Well, I had a heart to heart with a barista today, and I think I've figured it out.  


First of all, here it is paired with a delicious Venti Ice Water (0 cals):


Notice all the specific modifications on the cup - - I'm so high-maintenance!
As a reminder, here's how I order my version of the Starbucks Salted Caramel Mocha (AKA SCM):


Tall
Nonfat
No Whip
1 Pump Mocha
2 Pumps Toffee Nut

I picked up the handy "Nutritional Information" brochure in Bozeman this week per a barista's recommendations.  She said I could basically "build my own" latte using it.  She also confirmed that the original Salted Caramel Mocha comes with 3 pumps mocha + 3 pumps toffee nut.  That's a LOT of pumps and a lot of extra calories.... BEWARE!

Not quite able to figure out the calories on my own, I had to go back to Starbucks today for more (ahem) research.  Since I was there, I went ahead and got another SCM in the name of science.

In speaking with this Denver barista, he helped me understand that the base latte I should use in calculating the calories is the CAFFE MOCHA.  In essence, the drink is a CAFFE MOCHA with a few extra items.  And, the tall mocha has THREE PUMPS of mocha in it.  My version of the SCM collectively 3 pumps of syrup.  We have a match!  Toffee Nut does, however, have less fat and calories than a pump of mocha syrup, so I adjusted the stats accordingly.

So... Grand total of the estimated calories:  160 calories, 1g fat.  Keep in mind, the usual Tall Skinny Vanilla Latte I get is only 90 calories.   

You'll have to decide if you're willing to bring this latte into your life, but I honestly can't go without it now that I've tried it.   Sigh.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At September 16, 2011 at 10:20 AM , Blogger Momma Buzz said...

I think I may try this today! Do you know the fiber/protein/carbs amounts for it?

 
At September 16, 2011 at 11:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

All in the name of science!! I love it!
Mela

 
At September 16, 2011 at 11:44 PM , Blogger No Thanks to Cake said...

@Hilary - From the brochure I have, it looks like 32g carbs, 1g fiber, and 10g protein. I would verify online or with a brochure for yourself so you feel comfortable. I'm not an expert. :)

@Mela - It was a sacrifice.... But there's a lot I'll do for science....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home