This Page

has been moved to new address

Something New....

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
No Thanks to Cake: Something New....

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Something New....

I remember when I first started Jenny Craig, my consultant talked about how I was in the "contemplation phase" when it came to exercise.  Meaning that I was just THINKING, and THINKING, and THINKING, and THINKING about exercise, but really not doing much of anything.  She'd ask me every week, and every week, I'd say... I'm thinking about it. 

What you THINK about, you BRING about....

I would think about it, too.  I'd wonder if I should join a gym... I'd wonder if I should consider becoming a runner.  Wonder, wonder, wonder... that was my middle name.

Eventually, I started taking some walks, which I've really enjoyed.  I even expanded it into some trail walks and hikes.  I mean, this sounds small, but it's HUGE for a sedentary person - - which is what I'd unfortunately become.

Nonetheless, I'd been contemplating two things.  

FIRST THING ON MY MIND: YOGA
Yoga has always seemed so relaxing and so close to meditation.  I feel like it would help ground me and increase my flexibility and strength.  After playing it through my mind over and over again, I finally went tonight to my VERY first yoga class at a cute little yoga studio in town. 
While I didn't get this pose quite right...
I mastered this pose they call "Child's Pose" - - Impressive, I know.

I definitely need to get one of these...
I made it through my first class.  THANK GOODNESS it was a two-person beginner's class.  This way, I could ask questions and fall wobble in my pose if I needed to.  The instructor also gave me lots of beginner's suggestions and alternate poses to try for the tough ones.  Her sister was the other student and clearly not a beginner, but nice to the new girl (me) just the same.  

One other observation:  I had no idea yoga made people this sweaty.  I was definitely sweating all over that borrowed mat (disgusting, I know.)  I need my own, and to take a small towel with me next time I go!  

What a great night... and, I feel like I might even be sore tomorrow... Eeks!


SECOND THING ON MY MIND: SPIN
I've blogged several times now about the best radio show in the world (Cosmo Radio's Wake Up with Taylor - - Mornings on Sirius/XM 109).  Taylor, one of the fabulous hosts, is a HUGE fan of Soulcycle in NYC, and they've even had the instructor on the show many times to talk about spinning and other Fit Kids topics.  After hearing Tay talk about it for months and hearing Kenny go to his first sessions (even if he puked), I've been convinced that spinning is my next move.  All the cool kids (and the FKCST are doing it)...




I also feel like spin is perfect for my body shape. PS.... Pears are the coolest! Since the thighs and booty are my biggest areas of opportunity.... I'm pretty sure spin will burn and tone these areas for me!  


The COOLEST part is that the place I found - - The Spinning Yogi offers both!  Spin + Yoga = Yay!!!!


Now, the EVEN COOLER part is that they had a Groupon special today for a three-month pass.  AND, I bought it! So, that means I'm going back and I'm going to try out that spin bike once and for all!  Now, to make the Groupon worthwhile for me, I need to go to ELEVEN classes over the next three months.  


Holy crap!  I've found my "gym"!

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At July 6, 2011 at 9:51 AM , Blogger KaraK said...

Thank you for your comment back to me and congrats on finding your form of exercise! This is a huge step and one of the toughest for most people. It can be very difficult to find something that you are willing to stick to and plus love it. I know I struggled with it until I found running. It is something that became such a passion for me that when I went through 2 injuries it broke my heart to have to let it go for now. I think I was pushing myself too hard and it may of happened for that reason. It was very hard to train for race goals and weight loss goals because they affected each other. So, I have started back walking/hiking, swimming, and biking. I will eventually get back to running once I am much closer to my goal weight and injuries have healed completely. Keep us posted on how it is going! As always you are such an inspiration!

Cheers,
Kara

 
At July 6, 2011 at 7:00 PM , Blogger Jenster said...

Loving all the posts lately!!!! thank you

 
At July 6, 2011 at 9:28 PM , Blogger Manatee's Headband said...

I just wanted to stop by and say hi! I'm pretty sure we are twins (we were just born a decade apart). I'm a 23 year old middle school teacher who is 5'3. I started Jenny in February at 258 and am currently at 207.

Keep up your great work!!

 
At July 6, 2011 at 9:38 PM , Blogger No Thanks to Cake said...

@manatee - whoa.... You've lost 50 since February??? We may be twins, but you're my hero. What's the secret to your success? Inquiring minds want to know! Ps.... You are so close to ONEderland! Lastly, do we look alike?

@Jenster... I'm on a roll. Blogging really helps me stay on track. Nothing terribly interesting tonight, so likely no post.... Although, I'm tempted to buy a million bags of the Lemon Cooler Cookies. I'm loving them, and they're temp. :)

@Kara - I'm not sure that yoga or spinning is my passion, but I feel like I'm finally ready to do something, which is a start. I hope they end up being my go-to workouts though. We'll see!

 
At July 7, 2011 at 4:08 PM , Blogger Manatee's Headband said...

: ) Awww, you're too sweet! I'm doing Jenny, but I also exercise (yoga, swim, or elliptical) for one hour six days a week. I really want to hit onederland before I head back to work in August.

We look like we could be sisters or cousins!


ps- I'm not really that active on the Jenny boards, but my username is Brita.

 
At July 7, 2011 at 7:47 PM , Blogger No Thanks to Cake said...

I think it's awesome that you work out SIX days a week... I kind of detest working out, but I'm trying to convince myself I like it. AND, you are DEFINITELY going to hit ONEderland before August... You're so close!

 
At July 7, 2011 at 9:24 PM , Blogger Laurel Petty said...

KG, I am SO SO happy that you have found a gym that you're excited about! And that you're finally going to try spin! AND THAT YOU GOT A 3 MONTH PASS ON GROUPON!!! I've had a month-long pass to a local bootcamp since January that I haven't used yet...perhaps now is the TIME!!! :)

 
At July 7, 2011 at 9:46 PM , Blogger No Thanks to Cake said...

@Laurel - How about the have a 30 min spin/30 min yoga class... I'm really excited about that! May not be able to walk the next day, but eager to try it! Will keep you posted on how it goes.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home