This Page

has been moved to new address

Fall Cleaning: The Box

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
No Thanks to Cake: Fall Cleaning: The Box

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Fall Cleaning: The Box

It was that time again, and what better time to attack the closets than on the day that the time changes.


Last time I cleaned out my closets really wasn't that long ago, maybe a month or two ago.  This time around though, I was moreso focused on accessories, my drawers, and shoes... and that plastic tub in the back of my closet.


You know the tub.  The one that has all the clothes in it that you may fit into one day.  For me, that tub has been packed up tightly for a long time.  It has been moved THOUSANDS of miles and has lived in SEVEN different places.  From Colorado to Tennessee when I moved home and then back to Colorado once again.  We're talking nearly 10 years of hope, packed in a Rubbermaid container.


There it is... WAY in the back right corner
Yesterday, I went through it.


The things I saved were sort of funny.  I should have taken more pictures, but it was sort of messy and happened pretty quickly.  I found dresses that I wore back in the early 2000s that I loved.  Two bathing suits that I loved back in my mid-twenties.  I even found a pair of khaki pants that had cuffs... Hmmm, retro.


Would have been nice to have had these ladies cheering me on like in SATC The Movie
I quickly started three piles:  KEEP, CONSIGN, and GOODWILL.  


I also found about 3 pairs of black pants that fit now (score!) and three pairs of jeans that I would have definitely worn a few months ago (shoot), and possibly most devastating.... I found the most gorgeous pair of WHITE LINEN Isaac Mizrahi pants that I had bought at Target.  Wide-legged and gorgeous.  And, still with tags.  Seriously.


They don't look as gorgeous hanging, but I promise their something SPECIAL.  REAL special.
What makes it tragic is that they fit PERFECTLY and the white pant season has passed.  By next summer, it will be too late.  Happily, I'll have outgrown them, but sadly this means I won't ever get to wear them.  I saved them though... hoping that I can get them altered next spring.  We'll see.


The crazy part is that the box is empty now and there's nothing in it that I can't fit into.  Can you believe that?? I hardly can... That was always the box of impossibly tiny clothes from another time, and now it's empty.


My box is now empty!  I kind of want to get rid of it. I'm not planning to fill it with clothes that are too big that I might grow into... Maybe it will be repurposed for use with holiday decorations.  Hmmm...


My advice:  If you have a box that's full of clothes like this and you're on a similar journey, get in there and take inventory!  You just might be able to wear more than you think!! And, you won't want to miss out on the white pants like I did... Sigh.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At November 7, 2011 at 9:43 AM , Blogger zionastar said...

i have a HUGE box of clothes that are either too small for my son, or still too small for me. when i moved in here, i went through the box, and packed back up things i KNEW wouldn't fit me yet (i'm talking size mediums when i knew i could fit a large comfily)(made up a word heh), and then tried on things that i thought might be too small still, but i would be able to wear pretty soon. to my surprise, i had nothing in that category! it was all either a perfect fit (a pair of teen size 12 walking shorts i've been in love with and haven't been able to wear since my wedding day three years ago the most exciting thing for me), or stuff that fit, but with wear through the day ended up relaxing and becoming too big!

the only problem i have with this is needing winter clothes again, because i FINALLY bought a winter wardrobe last year, and now i've dropped 20lbs and most of it is too big.

 
At November 7, 2011 at 9:48 AM , Blogger No Thanks to Cake said...

I knew I couldn't be the only one with that box. :)

I can also totally relate to your winter clothes dilemma. I try to pick up things when I see them, and ideally things I can layer. It's so bittersweet needing to buy a whole new wardrobe. New sizes make it fun though!

 
At November 7, 2011 at 9:48 AM , Blogger No Thanks to Cake said...

Ps... I love the word comfily.

 
At November 7, 2011 at 10:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been in the same shoes (pardon the pun) as you. But guess what...there is hope...In Style Fall issue reported that white pants are in this Fall/Winter if paired with appropriate Fall colours and textures...so put those pants on girl and a chunky sweater and you are good to GO! Wear them and wear them proud but I advise if they are thin, wear white tights under them for warmth ;0) Hugs, Marion

 
At November 7, 2011 at 11:35 AM , Blogger No Thanks to Cake said...

Hmmm... Marion, you may be onto something here. But it's linen is my only concern. Linen is so summery... Tempting though! VERY tempting!

 
At November 8, 2011 at 12:44 PM , Blogger zionastar said...

but you could always wear some warm white knit tights underneath. since linen is flowy, it shouldn't (i think, i haven't actually WORN linen lol) stick to the tights, and you'll be warm.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home