This Page

has been moved to new address

New Recipe: Beet Chips

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
No Thanks to Cake: New Recipe: Beet Chips

Sunday, September 25, 2011

New Recipe: Beet Chips

Have you tried Pinterest?


It's a fantastic site with beautiful pictures and tons of ideas on just anything you want to do!  You create virtual "pinboards" and can see the pins your friends have made.  It has TONS of crafty ideas, which plays to my creative side.  As I "pin" pics, I always think I'm DEFINITELY going to make whatever it is.  Recipes, a new wall hanging, fancy wrapping paper.... you name it!


Example:  If you're planning a wedding, you can get pictures of fun ideas other people have used.  If you are looking for a beef stew recipe, you could search and find a million recipes (with pics).  


I never even thought about this idea, until I saw these beautiful fuschia babies....




I'm a huge fan of beets, while most people for whatever reason aren't.  I think they are one of the tastiest pink veggies that are awesome on salads, and delish on their own (pickled or not!)  I also roast them quite a bit.  When I was a kid, I used to love eating them in my salads + adding Ranch dressing because it would make my salad PINK!  


Regardless, tonight was the night for me to try this new treat.  They are even better than I thought!!!!!! And, while I love Kale Chips, these are perhaps my new fave.


BEET CHIPS

1 Large Beet
Pam Cooking Spray
Garlic Salt



1.  Your beet should look like this.  Remove the greens, as we don't need them for this recipe.  Using a vegetable peeler, remove the skin from the beet.  Once you've got it peeled, preheat your oven for 350 degrees.




2.  Next, you need a mandoline slicer.  Put it on a setting that cuts the beets to a paper thin thickness.  The recipe I read recommended 1/16" of an inch.  The first few I cut were not as thin as I would have liked.  The thinner the better.  Play with your mandoline.  And, read the safety instructions on that thing... be safe.  Today was my very first day using mine!



And, expect a little stainage.  Even with washing my hands often, I'm still a little pink on the fingertips!


Look at how thin they slice up!  Paper thin! 


3.  Place the beets on a cookie sheet, sprayed with Pam cooking spray.  I also sprayed the beets on top with the cooking spray before baking.  Also, sprinkle the beets with garlic salt.  

4.  Place the beets in the oven, and set your timer for 10 minutes.  It may take more than 10 minutes to cook them, but you'll want to check on them.  The beets will get lighter in color when they're done (as you see below.)  Some of them cooked a little too long the first time around, but the brown-ness didn't stop me from eating them... the non-burnt ones were very delicious though.  Shoot for that!



5.   Remove the chips from the pan and move them to a wire rack to cool.



6.  Place chips in a bowl and enjoy!!!




I couldn't resist catching one extra pic of the beautiful color of these chips!  Yum!  I wish I would have cooked TWO beets instead of one!  So good!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At September 25, 2011 at 3:51 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, they look so good. I can't wait to go shopping and buy some beats.

 
At September 25, 2011 at 5:11 PM , Blogger Katelyn said...

I looove my mandolin SO much.And I want to make these really bad!

 
At September 25, 2011 at 7:13 PM , Blogger No Thanks to Cake said...

Seriously.... Go get beets now and try them.... You're going to looooove them.

 
At September 25, 2011 at 7:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was great catching up with your blog this weekend upon my return from a week's holiday. I was wondering how you were making out with those Starbuck Salted Caramels. It is great that you reached out beyond JC to find a way to be more accountable to yourself and your weight loss goals. I had to do the same but with a different organization for tracking and making the transition to "regular food". I have finally reached by goal for a total loss of 87.2 lbs. It has been almost exactly a year to get there as my 1 year anniversary is Oct. 8/11 and it won't be long that you will be blogging about your goal and maintenance. All the best for your week to come. Marion

 
At September 26, 2011 at 7:54 AM , Blogger ShreddingIt said...

that is a great idea, thank now i gotta go buy beets.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home