This Page

has been moved to new address

I Deserve Some Applause

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
No Thanks to Cake: I Deserve Some Applause

Sunday, July 17, 2011

I Deserve Some Applause

Have you ever done something that is SOOOO not a big deal to others, but is a huge deal to you?  

I did today.

I went to my (wait for it) VERY FIRST SPIN / YOGA CLASS!!!!




I mentioned last week after my 1st yoga class that this was my goal, and I've officially survived my first Yoga/Spin 30/30 class at the Spinning Yogi!  


Last night, I was so nervous about it.  So, I set my alarm for JUST before I needed to leave, so I didn't have much time to think about it.  This is a little technique I use with myself.  Wake up ON THE WAY to the gym and then you don't have time to talk yourself out of it. :)


The Spinning was interesting.  You REALLY move at your own pace and set your own resistance.  My goal for today was to keep moving the entire time and to "listen to my body," which was the advice of my instructor today.  She also told me upon introduction: "I'm probably the hardest spin instructor here."  Awesome news.


She helped me set up my bike and strapped my feet into the pedals tightly... so there was no where to go.  Eeks!


A Tip from the Beginner:  I don't recommend getting on the bike terribly early.  You're just going to sit there and bike until the class starts... and your lady parts will thank you for taking my advice.  Oh boy... let's talk about that seat.  




Friends had warned me about this seat, but until you experience it... you don't really know what you're in for.  O-M-G!  The good news is that the class has you up and down many times (mostly up) so you don't have to rest on the seat too long, but if you're early and/or you are a newbie you may spend extra time on the seat (AKA me/me).  I probably pushed myself a little harder in the sprints knowing that it would get me off the seat and offer relief to my sensitive areas.


I'll definitely be looking into a cushiony seat option in the future.  I hear there's gel and whatnot available.  I literally thought about putting my sweat-catching towel on the seat for comfort and probably would have if I was in the back of the room.  OUCH!


After our 30 minutes, we moved onto Yoga.  Cool towels in the hallway between rooms that had been soaked in something lavender made the transition amazing.  I get to lay on a mat with this delightful towel on my face?  I'm in heaven!




The yoga class started up, and I was definitely working it... it got really intense for a few minutes, but I just did what I could and listened to my body (my mantra.)  I found that the hardest part was getting my groove.  I don't know the poses, so I'd have to look at the instructor to see what the heck she was doing.  As I go more often, I think I should be better able to transition from pose to pose.  I'm excited to see me progress in this area for sure!


Post-workout... I went to Target and bought my VERY OWN yoga mat.  I settled on a Premium Gaiam Yoga Mat in Brown.  I'm hoping we can be friends throughout this process.  I feel like there's just too much sweat going on to use one of the mats at the studio.  It's for the sake of others using them, and mine. :)


Needless to say, quite proud of my morning and of the fact that I've already reserved a spot for next Sunday's class.  Namaste!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At July 17, 2011 at 3:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Job! I gotta get like you and just go. I really want to try it but I feel like I am not thin enough to do it.

 
At July 17, 2011 at 4:43 PM , Blogger No Thanks to Cake said...

So... I'm not exactly tiny. I just went. Seriously, you can do this!! Especially if I can...

 
At July 19, 2011 at 5:28 PM , Blogger NancyK said...

When I read your earlier post about taking a spin class, I said to myself...hmmm I hope someone tells her about how certain areas of her body are going to feel after about 5 minutes!!! Spin is a great workout, but it will take you a couple of weeks of regular classes before your body will get used to it. The gel seats are ok, but only with time will your body adjust. Best of luck!!!!

 
At July 20, 2011 at 8:37 AM , Blogger Need to Get ME Back said...

I have been wanting to take a spin class! But the only gym around that offers it is 45 mins away :( But good to know about the seat! I hadn't thought about that at all!

Glad to find/ follow your blog too!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home