This Page

has been moved to new address

New Recipe: Orange Beef with Broccoli

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
No Thanks to Cake: New Recipe: Orange Beef with Broccoli

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

New Recipe: Orange Beef with Broccoli

Yesterday was another travel day.  My travels brought me back to good ol' Idaho for the second week in a row.  This time, I'm on the Western side of the state for meetings.  Good times.

When I was at the airport last night, I did the usual thing I do... plan for less time than I should to get to the airport.  If I had a dollar for everytime that I was running late to the airport, I could likely quit my job and live happily for two days a while!

Not to worry, dear readers, I hustled through DIA and made the flight, of course.  I even felt a little like Clark Kent on the people mover with the power walking that was going on.  Impressive!

Now, one thing I didn't plan for was dinner.  Oh, the agony!  I had planned to grab Panda Express at the airport, but there was certainly no time for all of that.  But, Panda was piping their scents through the airport just the same making me ravenous.

What is it about the sheer smell of their Orange Chicken that makes me want to EAT IT NOW??  Given, I haven't eaten it in over a year... but it just smells so delish!  As does their beef and broccoli with mixed veggies, which is my standard low-cal choice.

I got to Boise around 8:30 PM and enjoyed some veggie sushi.  Not quite the same as sticky Orange Chicken, but quite delish and satisfying.


The smell of the OC at the airport also reminded me of the dish I made last week.  It's orangy and delicious and tastes quite indulgent.  I'd honestly take this over the Panda Orange Chicken any day!

Orange Beef with Broccoli
Weight Watchers Five Ingredient 15 Minute Recipes - Winter 2012
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 6
Serves 4


INGREDIENTS


1 (12-ounce) package refrigerated broccoli florets
(I purchased broccoli crowns for some reason, so I chopped my own)
1/3 cup fat free beef broth
(I had to use bouillon because I was out of beef broth)
1/3 cup low sugar orange marmalade
(I used Smuckers Simply Fruit and it was perfect!)
2 Tbsp. lower sodium soy sauce
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 (1-pound) flank steak, trimmed and thinly sliced
Sliced onions (optional)
Cooking spray

INSTRUCTIONS

1.  Microwave broccoli according to package instructions... or, chop your broccoli and put it in a gallon-sized ziploc bag topped with several tablespoons of water.  Place in microwave and steam for a minute and a half.

Because I had the whole broccoli crown, I used a little of the stem in the recipe too for some thinly sliced crunchy goodness.

2.  While broccoli cooks, combine broth and the next 3 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with whisk.  Set aside.

Look at all that yummy orangy-ness

Whisk to combine
3.  Thinly slice the flank steak.  Place cornstarch in a plastic ziplock bag.  Add steak and toss to coat.
Slicing took a while.  The cookbook suggested having the butcher do it for you, which I think is brilliant!

You can also dredge the meat in a shallow bowl, but the ziploc bag is soooo easy.
4.  Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Coat pan with cooking spray.  Add steak and onion.  Saute 5 minutes or until browned on all sides.  

I couldn't resist adding onions.  I think next time, I'd like green onions even.  So good!

First time cooking Flank Steak btw, and this was only 1/2 a recipe (as usual)
5.  Add broth mixture; cook 1 minute or until thick.  Add broccoli, and serve immediately.

The sauce thickens up pretty quickly.  Keep your eye on it!
ENJOY!


PER 1 CUP SERVING: CAL: 238; PROTEIN: 27.7g; FAT: 7g; CARB: 16.6g; FIB: 2.5g; SOD: 570mg

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At February 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM , Blogger Mely said...

I'm doing this tonight. After Italian and Mexican, Chineese food is my next fave. This with a side of brown rice must me a hit. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, any more news on the dating dept. =)

 
At February 7, 2012 at 1:12 PM , Anonymous nancyk said...

Love this recipe. I think I will try it with chicken! !!

 
At February 7, 2012 at 3:25 PM , Blogger Tim said...

You must be the best cook in the world. Your dishes always look so tasty!!

 
At February 8, 2012 at 12:08 AM , Blogger No Thanks to Cake said...

@Mely - We're going out this week! Will keep
You posted. :)

@Nancy - Let me know how the chicken is... I want to try it too!

@Tim - You're too kind. I really enjoy it!

 
At February 13, 2012 at 9:06 AM , Blogger Erin said...

Oh my gosh this looks amazing. Seriously I am going to start cooking everything you make.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home