This Page

has been moved to new address

Long Live the Chick Flick

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
No Thanks to Cake: Long Live the Chick Flick

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Long Live the Chick Flick

I went this weekend to see The Vow.  It's the latest romantic comedy with Rachel McAdams and Channing Tatum, and as soon as I saw the trailer, I knew I had to see it.  I am a HUGE fan of The Notebook (the book and the movie), so anytime I see Rachel McAdams as the female lead in a movie like this.... I have to see it.  I will say, she did not disappoint.




Quick Sidenote:  The previews at The Vow included one for the new Nicholas Sparks' movie The Lucky One.  I feel a little cougar-esque even mentioning it... but holy crap, Zac Ephron has grown up.  Can't wait to see this one as well!


Back to The Vow... The Vow is the story of an adorable couple who has a devastating car accident.  The car accident leaves Paige (Rachel McAdams) without any memory of her husband Leo (Channing Tatum).  It's the heart-wrenching tale of him trying to remind her of how much she loves him.  Tatum plays this character that you just quickly fall in love with (and makes you wonder why McAdams doesn't just PRETEND she remembers and go with it!) 

Go see it, and take tissues.  I totally cried throughout the movie, in that "good cry" kind of way.  CNN actually published an article this weekend about how people like to go to movies and cry.  I guess I'm that girl, and I'm guessing you might be, too.  My friend Kris and I just sat there for a while after the credits had run when the movie had gotten the best of us.  We finally left when we saw the cleaning people... but not before we spent a few minutes comparing the disappointment of the weeks' dates and wondering where our real-life Leo might be. 

Now, I know that there are opposing views out there on chick flicks.  In case there is any question, I am VERY pro-chick flick.  While I'm a practical Capricorn, I'm also a hopeless romantic.  I like to think that this kind of beautiful love exists in the world. 


Do I think every relationship is perfect and like the movies has a happy ending?  
No.  

Do I believe that people connect on this deep of a level?  
Abso-freakin-lutely.


Actually, I know they do.  I've been there.  So wrapped up in another person that you'd literally do ANYTHING for them, when you simply light up in their presence, and you can't wait to tell them the good news and the bad.  They are your better half and you theirs. Would I remember them if I had a brain injury and amnesia?  Hmmm.... not sure, but I know this to be true...




Now, I know as children arrive, multiple car payments are due each month, and 20 years of being with one another...  relationships transform and change.  I don't expect it all to be rainbows and butterflies, but what I do know is that I want it.


As a 30-something.... I have many friends that have been married a long time.  Several have been divorced, and they're all warning the single girl of the peril of relationships and how much WORK it is.  It's these same folks that try to tell you that chick flicks are destructive.  I don't think I could disagree more.


I'm 35 and single.  And, I plan on finding it.  

And when I say it, I mean the connection.  I don't mean all the shenanigans that go along with the movies.  I don't expect grand gestures (i.e. the final dance scene in Dirty Dancing.)  I don't expect him to climb up the balcony to "rescue" me (ala Pretty Woman,) and he won't build me my dream house and steal me from my fiance (i.e. The Notebook.)  I don't even expect him to desperately try to make me fall in love with him again when I get amnesia.  I get it.  I live in the real world.   

But I do and forever shall expect to be loved.  Here's to finding it, if you don't have it yet either, get looking!  Don't waste another moment.  I know I won't!


Happy Valentine's Day

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At February 14, 2012 at 8:46 AM , Anonymous DebO said...

It's out there, and I don't doubt that you will find it.

 
At February 14, 2012 at 9:00 AM , Blogger Jamie said...

Awww!! I love this post! You are precious and will totally find it when you are least expecting it! I loved the movie too and I can just say my heart does a little dance watching the trailer to "The Lucky One" :) Happy Valentine's Day!!!

 
At February 14, 2012 at 10:40 AM , Blogger Sam said...

I totally freakin love this post! I am a fellow chick flick junkie. While they are often very far from the "real world" I too still like to believe that there is real love out there like the kind you see in these movies. I am married and love my husband dearly - your friends couldn't be more right when they say a marriage is "work" because it is! In movies everything always works out in some way and in real life that just isn't always going to happen, things come up and times get hard ... but then your husband offers to take you to a chick flick that he would rather die before seeing and that little gesture makes you love him just a little more (the husband is taking me to see The Vow saturday because he know how badly I want to see it)... I hope you find "it" someday soon =)

 
At February 14, 2012 at 2:31 PM , Blogger Emily said...

I cant wait to see these movies :D Yes the Notebook is amazing (watched last night) and yes abso-lute-freakin-lutely yes to everything you just said :D

 
At February 14, 2012 at 4:55 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Did I write this post? Honestly. I haven't seen the movie yet, but desperately want to and know I will cry like a baby. I love chick flicks in a serious way, LOVE Channing Tatum, love you some ecards pic, love everything about this post. And I too believe in IT. And I will find it.

Once again, you and I are the same person. Except you have a better wardrobe and you're a better cook :-)

 
At February 14, 2012 at 5:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a closet chick flickster and admittedly obsess over really great ones by buying them and watchin them adlib! Hold out for your dream Kelly becauae it makes your journey through life that much more sweeter. I met my husband later in life but like you I wasn't willing to settle and when there are the "for worse" moments it's a chance for us to learn about each other and grow closer for having done the work tht a relationship takes to keep if fresh and full of l'amour. All the best Marion

 
At February 14, 2012 at 10:20 PM , Blogger No Thanks to Cake said...

Interestingly, when I'm slightly nervous to post about something personal, you guys always come back with the positive reinforcement!

@Marion - I'm not a settler. I want it all, and will wait for it as needed. :)

@Erin - I don't now about better wardrobe... And i wish I worked out more (like you do!)

@Emily - You're going to love it! I promise! Keep me posted!

 
At February 14, 2012 at 10:22 PM , Blogger No Thanks to Cake said...

@Sam - He may not like it as much as we do.... Just a prediction.

@Jamie - ZE is hooooooot in that trailer, isn't he?

@Deb - Trying to be patient, but I know you're right! :)

 
At February 14, 2012 at 10:47 PM , Blogger Robin said...

"It" does exist, and even though it isn't always perfect, it is all worth it!

 
At February 20, 2012 at 3:11 AM , Blogger Tim said...

Great post, I also hope to find that connection with someone and will never give up cos I'm sure it's out there somewhere! I disagree with you with one thing though, if I woke up from a coma and Channing said he was my husband, I would want to go back into the coma!! Haha :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home