This Page

has been moved to new address

Breakthroughs and Brain Changes

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
No Thanks to Cake: Breakthroughs and Brain Changes

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Breakthroughs and Brain Changes

Over the past few weeks, I've started noticing that things are changing for me.  I've been on this weight loss journey for over a year now, and it hasn't always been easy.


Now, there have been days where I've driven through a drive-thru to get a "snack" in the form of a small Hamburger.  I've had trips to visit family where I couldn't get enough sausage balls in my mouth. 



But since Thanksgiving, I've noticed a big change in myself and in the way I look at this process.  I got back from my trip, and got RIGHT back on track... no hesitation, no faltering.  No binges.  Just good solid healthy living.


While I still have about 20 lbs left to go on my journey, I'm starting to see this as "how I live" as opposed to "how I diet."  Sure, I've heard from ALL of the experts that it's so important to change your life and not just diet.... but now, I feel like I'm living it.




I think a big part of the change is my membership at the YMCA.  I don't love working out, but I do love having that 30-60 minutes most nights that's quiet and that's mine.  I leave my phone in the car.  For those of you who know me well, you know this doesn't happen very often.  I completely disconnect during that time.  I read while I ride on the recumbent bike, and I catch up on E! News if it's on while I'm on the elliptical.  


I still haven't made friends with the treadmill.  We've met, but I'm skeptical of her.  
It's a time to do something great for my body while doing something positive for my mind.  LOVE IT.


Now, don't let me fool you into thinking that I go EVERY day.  I don't.  And, don't imagine that I like to go every time I go.  Tonight, it was SNOWING and it took everything in me to get to the gym. 


Going to the gym on a SNOWY night = DEDICATION!  I would have NEVER done that a year ago.  
The other thing I absolutely love is that I don't have to be as strict on my diet when I work out.  For example, tonight I did a lame workout because my legs were sore from last night.  So, I only burned about 294 calories; however, that's still 294 calories more that I have to work with!  


Not that I am going to eat them all, but if I decide to saute my brussels sprouts with some bacon tonight... it's not the end of the world.  And, it wasn't.  



Amazing - - Just Brussels, Onion, and Bacon
I share this today because it's probably the biggest breakthrough I've had.  Maybe it's a Christmas miracle!  Either way, I'm just hopeful that it will stay.  I love how it feels.  And, I love that it's starting to feel effortless.  It's starting to feel REAL and perhaps more importantly, sustainable.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At December 20, 2011 at 7:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The 45 minutes I take to exercise 4/5 days out of a week are blissfully mine and I wouldn't trade that healthy selfishness for nothing. I think what you are discovering is that a healthy life is better, sweeter and more fulfilling than the life you lived before where eating formed the foundations of your day. Way to go Kelly and I wish you all the best for Christmas and into the New Year as you reach closer and closer to your goal, you'll discover just how sweet it is! All the best Marion

 
At December 21, 2011 at 7:08 AM , Anonymous Andie said...

What a wonderful feeling! Congratulations! I especially appreciate that you've demonstrated that you can have a little slip but then get right back to living healthy - that is such a valuable lesson. Thank you for sharing with us.

 
At December 21, 2011 at 9:58 PM , Blogger No Thanks to Cake said...

@Marion - - Thanks so much! I'm so thankful to be where I am. One day, I too will be at goal. Happy Holidays!!!

@Andie - It's amazing and something I didn't think I could do, honestly. It's nice to be at peace with this. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home