This Page

has been moved to new address

I Survived Thanksgiving!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
No Thanks to Cake: I Survived Thanksgiving!

Sunday, November 27, 2011

I Survived Thanksgiving!

I had SUCH a great few days in Ohio.  Last time I visited Ohio, it was for my grandmother's funeral two and a half years ago.  I can't even tell you how nice it was to be home.


As my previous post mentioned, I was a little nervous about traveling on the BUSIEST TRAVEL DAY OF THE YEAR.  I was able to easily get on the earlier flight on Wednesday, and then I arrived at the airport to find this.


Denver International Airport Security - The Day Before Thanksgiving?
The airport was a GHOST TOWN.  It was almost eery how quiet it was.  Of course, this was not a complaint.  I'd gladly take extra quiet time at the airport!


I got into my hometown at about 8pm.  Just in time to visit with my brother and sister-in-law and to peek in at the kiddos who had already passed out for the night.  We had adjoining rooms at the hotel, and that was just one of many perks.  Seriously, this Holiday Inn Express was NICE.  Happy hour, snacks, a huge breakfast... Super nice!


The days that followed were full of smiles and laughter.  We had quite the feast at my aunt's house on Thursday, and I got to see most of my cousins, aunts, and uncles.  While I had (in jest) mentioned that I was hoping for food I didn't like, everything was so delicious with all of my ol' favorites.


My aunt made Gram's famous cinnamon dinner rolls - - Yum-O!
What proved to be the most tempting items at Thanksgiving were the appetizers Beth and I made to take with us.  We didn't want to show up empty handed, so we whipped up some of our favorite snacks.  And, we ate quite a few of them, too!  EEKS!


Beth's Contribution - Sausage Balls
My Contribution - Vegetable Pizza (Recipe to Follow)
The only thing missing from the festivities was my Dad and his wife Joanne, and of course, my Grandma.  This was the first family event I'd gone to that she wasn't present.  She's definitely missed.  My Grandpa said several times this weekend that he knew she was smiling down on us.  I have to believe that to be the case.


A Quick Family Pic - - Didn't realize that I'm only taller than my Aunt Joann and the kids until I saw this!
For those of you who live in Ohio/PA... I'll also share that we went Kraynak's.  Growing up in NE Ohio, visiting Kraynak's was an annual event.  Actually, we went twice a year... Santa's Workshop in the winter and Easter Bunny Lane in the spring.  It's a Christmas tree wonderland + crazy toy store.  


Waiting in line to see the holiday displays
Needless to say, I have lots of memories at this place from years past.  It was fun to share it with my niece and nephew and to see their eyes light up at the rows and rows of trees.  Keep in mind, their eyes were not as bright when we snuck out the door without heading into the toy departments and escaped without bags in hand!

A peek at the displays they have at Santa's Workshop - - Awesome!
Overall, the weekend was awesome.  I'm so glad I got to spend some quality time with my grandpa this weekend.  He's been lonely since my grandma died, so it's nice to see him and to keep him company.  It also makes it hard to leave.  


As for eating, since that is what NTTC is about.  Ladies and Gentlemen, I ate too much.  There was pizza and mashed potatoes.  There was sausage balls and cookies from the front desk.  This morning, I woke up and my first thought was of the biscuits and gravy I wouldn't be having today. When you wake up thinking about biscuits and gravy, you know you're off track. 

Side note:  Interestingly, I entered my bad breakfast choices into MyFitnessPal to find out that the cinnamon rolls at Holiday Inn Express are MUCH worse for you than the biscuit and sausage gravy.  Perhaps, not the horrible choice (comparatively) I thought it to be, but THREE days of biscuits and gravy never is the best decision


Snuggling up with the little ones...
One thing that went really well was my Thanksgiving plate.  1/2 veggies + 1/4 protein + 1/4 carbs, I did that!  The appetizers aside, it was a pretty smooth day!


For the weekend as a whole, I made some poor choices.  BUT, it was just THREE days!  As soon as I got home, I've been back on track.  Today's calories came in at slightly less than 1200 calories.  That's a success!  My weight was up this morning, but I know a lot of it was salt.  I plan to use the rest of the week to get back on track.


I survived and had a wonderful weekend!  Four weeks until Christmas - - Time to start thinking about my survival plan for that crazy holiday.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At November 28, 2011 at 10:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like you had an awesome weekend! Back on track is a good place to be. PS - I love quiet airports!

 
At November 28, 2011 at 3:00 PM , Blogger No Thanks to Cake said...

@Aprl - Back on track just feels better overall!!! I'm on the road this week, which is usually VERY good for me! Limited access to food! Hoping for a strong week!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home