This Page

has been moved to new address

Just Read: Shanghai Girls

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
No Thanks to Cake: Just Read: Shanghai Girls

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Just Read: Shanghai Girls

I've been on a bit of a reading run lately. Maybe it's because it's getting colder.  




Or maybe it's because reading to me usually means I nice soak in the tub.
Whatever the reason, I'm loving a good book these days.  My friend (and fabulous co-worker) Crystal told me about Shanghai Girls by Lisa See during our recent trip to Austin.  When I hear someone mention a book and their eyes light up as they talk about it, I know that it's something I've got to check out.  I'm so glad I did!


Shanghai Girls is the story of two girls who live a lavish life in China until their father experiences financial troubles and sells them off to the United States to be brides to men they've never met.  They have to leave their fabulous lives behind to experience the unknown. It's a bumpy ride for sisters Pearl and May, and quite a story for the readers.

While I'm not the biggest fan of Lisa See's writing style, I absolutely love the story she created for these two sisters.  I also feel like it gave me a glimpse at what it was like to be a Chinese immigrant during America's early days.

The author has also written a sequel to the book about the daughter Joy - - Dreams of Joy.  I'm hoping to read this in the near future, and I'm hoping that it's again the kind of book that makes me want to stay up late reading.



My next book (that I plan to start this weekend) will be Nicholas Sparks' new book:  The Best of Me.  
I am a HUGE Nick Sparks fan and get so excited when his new books come out each fall.  That man is the most romantic writer EVER and writes the most beautiful love stories.  I get so wrapped up in his books... and it seems he's always able to make me cry with his touching tales.

Fun fact:  The first book EVER to make me cry was The Notebook way back in 1998.  I never knew that books could effect you like that.  I'd cried in movies (and in real-life, of course), but The Notebook was the first to have that impact upon me... and I've read every book Sparks has written since. 

Question:  What is the last great book you read?  What did you love about it?

Labels:

4 Comments:

At November 10, 2011 at 10:04 PM , Blogger Taryn said...

I have a few books that stand out in my mind:

1) "The Long Road Home" - Danielle Steele - This was a LOOOONG book that had me absolutely sobbing. It took me on an emotional rollercoaster that kept me completely enthralled

2) "The Bear's Embrace" - Patricia Van Tighem - A true story about a woman who was attacked by a bear and the way her life was completely changed (on a different note, I live in the same town she did and I actually work with her ex-husband)

3) "The Last Song" - Nicholas Sparks - 'Nuff said (movie sucked though)

 
At November 10, 2011 at 10:39 PM , Blogger No Thanks to Cake said...

Wow... Thanks for all the suggestions! I, of course, have read Last Song. I loved that book, but you're VERY right in that the movie was not NEARLY as good. I was a little disappointed that they'd already started shooting the movie before the book came out. It took a lot to not picture Miley Cyrus as Ronnie while I was reading... but I did my best. :)

 
At November 11, 2011 at 7:54 AM , Blogger Momma Buzz said...

The last book I read that moved me was The Shack. If you are a Christian, or understand what it's about, it gives a neat perspective on God.

Thanks to your inspiration, I finally decided to move on to Angels & Demons. This was on my 2011 book list so you helped me decide what to read next :).

Are you on Goodreads.com?

 
At November 11, 2011 at 8:12 PM , Blogger No Thanks to Cake said...

@Hilary - - I couldn't put down Angels and Demons. Although, at night it sorta creeped me out since I live alone and some of the scenes are a little eery. Can't wait to hear how you like it! I am on Goodreads, but don't use it too heavily.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home