This Page

has been moved to new address

Picking up an LBD or Two

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
No Thanks to Cake: Picking up an LBD or Two

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Picking up an LBD or Two

One of my dear friends Robin (a new reader of NTTC) recently told me I should post more about my shopping expeditions.  She knows me too well, and knows that there's always wardrobe additions being made.


WELL... Tonight, I had a LEGITIMATE REASON to shop.  As mentioned yesterday, I'm off to Chicago in about 48 hours!  YAY!  On Saturday night, we're going to stay downtown at a fabulous hotel in the city (and on my hotel points, might I add.) 


We're planning on going out that night.  Shamefully, this girl does not go out on the town too often.  Honestly, I work a lot.  And more honestly, I haven't felt for a long time like I wanted to put my body out there.  Hiding felt more comfortable.  BUT... In light of the recent physical changes and how it makes me feel mentally fabulous, it's time to get out there!


If you were to look in my closet right now, you'd see LOTS of work clothes and LOTS of Colorado casual clothes (cute tops, jeans, scarves, etc), but you wouldn't see many dresses.  There's a few maxi-dresses in the back, but that's it.


I got it stuck in my head that I needed a sassy black dress for my Chicago debut, and a sassy little LBD (little black dress) is what I found.

Please don't try to dress like her, ladies!

A Quick Note to my Size Changing Friends:  Once you get out of plus size, you may feel a little bit stalled.  You're used to going to see your friends at Lane Bryant and other spots catering to plentiful bodies, but it takes a little while to find your go-to spots in regular sizes.  The same is true when the opposite happens, I remember.  I hit this panic button this morning, when I realized that I didn't know where to go.  I'll also point out that the dresses I found online were, well, hoochie-looking.  What are young women wearing these days?  How many cut-outs are really necessary??  And, how tight can one dress be??  Frightening. 


Through tips from friends, I decided to try Express, Banana Republic, and I tossed in White House Black Market as a wild card.  Needless to say, the wild card was the winner.  I have secretly lusted after White House Black Market... Everything in there looks so sophisticated!  Also, I never knew that their sizes were 0-16.  If that fits your size range... get in there! 

Here's the first dress I found.  It's hard to see the detail because it's so black, but it has a ruffle near the chest and a 2nd ruffle at the bottom.  Cute, cute.  This dress made me feel (well) small and petite.  It's hard to describe, but I just felt great in it and had to buy it.  It ALSO was on CLEARANCE.  CUE THE SMILE!




This dress just looked amazing on.  And was SOOOOO flattering.  It felt a little more dressy than the 1st, and just had such a classic look to it.  I know I'll get wear out of it.  It also was a little longer than the 1st, which I liked.  Oh... and Pssssssssst... it may have been a 12.  Seriously, one-two.  AND, also on CLEARANCE.

I'm going to take both with me, and I PROMISE to take pics of the one that makes it out with me on Saturday night.  Love them both, it's going to be a hard decision.  (To see which dress I picked, click here.)


PS... Yes, I did use the word "hoochie" above. What can I say, you can take a girl out of the South, but you can't always take the South out of the girl. :)

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At August 18, 2011 at 12:24 AM , Anonymous Crystal said...

The 2nd one is my fav!! Sassy and sexy!

 
At August 18, 2011 at 5:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am right there with you. I am right now running out of BIG clothes that I can take in or cinch in here and there to make took good enough to wear out. I don't want to buy too much because of the in-between issue but I do need a few pieces to get me through!
Thanks for this post I think I will go shopping!
Mela

 
At August 18, 2011 at 6:20 AM , Blogger NancyK said...

I know what you mean about the hoochie dresses - what are those girls thinking of?? I love both dresses - you will look fabulous in either.

 
At August 18, 2011 at 9:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading your blog!

Love love love your dress pics and would suggest you wear the 2nd one out in the windy city if you are a "true" pear shape as this dress will forgive those lower curves and I know this because, like you, I am a "true" pear shape.

I totally relate to your "deer in a headlight" experience with respect to shopping when you are so use to being limited in your selection. I've lost 78lbs on JC since Oct/10 (7 lbs to goal) and I've gone through a few wardrobe changes and love Ann Taylor so give AT a try on your next shopping excursion. What is great about AT is the forgiving fabrics so if you buy something at your present size, it will fit as you get smaller. As well, I find their designs to be very "pear-shape" friendly.

I'm always up for retail therapy!

All the best for your continued weight loss journey from one JCer to another ;0)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home