This Page

has been moved to new address

I Just Can't Put My Finger On It...

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
No Thanks to Cake: I Just Can't Put My Finger On It...

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I Just Can't Put My Finger On It...

Today seemed the day that a lot of people were noticing I've lost weight.  I mean, take a peek at the pics on the left, it's pretty darn dramatic. :)  But today is the day everyone wanted to talk about it.

It seems that everywhere I went today people were trying to put their finger on what was different.  This was a conversation I was in the middle of in the back room at one of my client locations:

"Wow, something is really different about you...
I just can't put my finger on it."
"Is your HAIR different?"
"Something's changed.  Maybe you're TANNER than last time I saw you? Or have you lost WEIGHT?"

While it's very flattering, it's a little overwhelming in mixed company.  Men and women. Young and older.  People I know well and people I just met.  People I like and people I don't care for.  Seriously, it can be sort of awkward.  Oh, and in a professional setting, PS... It's sooooo awk.


My response today was ... "Well, I do spend some time at the pool, so I guess I'm tanner.  I've also lost some weight."

Other days, I say... "Yeah... I've been working hard, but I still have a way to go."

Why do we downplay our accomplishments?  Why am I so modest about something I've worked so hard for?  And curiously, why am I almost ashamed to admit in mixed company that I've lost weight?  I NEVER say the total amount lost unless I'm amongst friends (blog friends included).  I guess, I don't want anyone doing the math, or looking at me and going "Wow, you've lost 60 lbs, and you still have more to lose?"

It's a really interesting place to be.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that people notice.  It's so motivating and almost justifies the process; it makes me feel fantastic.  When I run into someone who hasn't seen me in 6 months and barely recognizes me, that's my favorite.

I'd also add that there's a few more people I wish would notice.  Well, those same people, I'd like them to forget I was ever that previous plus-sized lady and (ahem) just focus on the new and improved me. 

I love the new version of me, and I'm not going back to that before image EVER again.  I wish I could just answer these questions better sometimes.  I guess that will come with time.  I know that before pic is fading away... soon everyone will only know the newer and more fabulous me.  I'm certainly ok with that.

Suggestion to the World:  If you can tell I've lost weight, just say so.  Or, simply just say I look great.  Don't make me tell you, that's where I get flustered.  Help a girl out, will ya?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At July 27, 2011 at 7:18 AM , Blogger Katelyn said...

I don't really know you (just from blog land!) And I think you look incredible. The difference is REALLY dramatic, especially in your face!!! And that's just looking at your progress pic! You look great!

For the record, I do the same thing...I get embarassed and uncomfortable when people talk about weight loss and especially my weight loss. Even discussing it with my mom makes me feel really tense! I don't know what it is!

 
At July 27, 2011 at 4:28 PM , Blogger Need to Get ME Back said...

Oh I totally hear you! I have been debating tell certain people how much I've lost. Especially new people I just met. I actually wrote about it on my blog, but I think I am with you on this, and will just avoid telling them how much I've lost. I don't want them picturing what I must have looked like before or something!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home