This Page

has been moved to new address

My First Workout Injury

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
No Thanks to Cake: My First Workout Injury

Friday, January 13, 2012

My First Workout Injury

So, just when I get all excited about it and decide to start posting about my awesome workouts... I get injured.



Well, it's not quite as bad as it looks.  I mean, my skin hasn't turned orange like Snooki, but it's still so disappointing. 

So, you might remember my WOW post on Wednesday.  I've gotten into my workout GROOVE finally.  I'm even tallying how many days I workout this year.  That was all before I hurt myself.  Here's how it happened.

Picture it:  Marriott Workout Room, 6pm


I started out my workout last night on the recumbent bike.  This is a new trick of mine when I'm traveling.  I take my iPad with me and catch up on all my favorite blogs while I'm biking about 11 mph.  Brilliant, right?  30 minutes is gone in NO time!

Afterward, I work my way over to the treadmill to walk and listen to music/watch TV for the next 30 minutes.  And, tonight was the night I had planned on doing my VERY FIRST OFFICIAL Couch to 5K workout.

I walked my first 5 minutes and ran my first 60 seconds.  Then, when I brought myself to a stop.  SOMETHING WAS PINCHING.  OUCH.  SOMETHING WAS OH-SO-HURTING in the hip area.  What the heck?  I continued walking until I got to 10 minutes on the timer and then I had to stop. 

Walking hurt, let alone running.  My first injury.

I did what any girl would do in my position, I text my besties with the news.  Angela immediately text back with stretching suggestions and even called me to walk me through the most amazing of stretches that "hurt-so-good."  A gymnastics coach, she's got experience helping the wounded... she diagnosed me as having an issue with my hip flexor.  Honestly, I didn't even know I had one.

(Source)

I took my ibuprofen, completed my stretching, and received my scolding for not stretching pre-workout.  I actually got that scolding from multiple people + the promise of stretching workouts that I should use in the future.  Good times.

Thankfully, I woke up this morning amazed that the pain had lessened (Thanks, Ang!) but knowing that it could NOT be a workout day today.  This pain must heal so I don't have other problems.  And, I've got to learn these new stretches that the ladies recommend.

Now, today has been tough.  Knowing fully that I was NOT going to workout tonight, I've felt so guilty about extra bites of food.  Example:  I had 2 potstickers in the concierge lounge tonight and a square o' cheese and an apple and I couldn't resist a sugar-free hot chocolate.  Normally, I wouldn't even stress on that due to working out adding more calories into my daily allowance.  Today, not a good idea (especially with a weigh-in looming.)

I'm hoping to be all back to normal by tomorrow.  Sigh.

The NTTC Lesson of the Day:  STRETCH pre-workout, people!  It's important!

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At January 13, 2012 at 6:17 AM , Blogger Taryn said...

Oh no! I hope everything is ok. The onle thing about stretching pre-workout is yhat you dont want to do static stretches which can leave you injured (imagine your muscles are like a rubber band. If you stretch them when theyre cold they can break. If theyre warm theyre nice and pliable). Soooo make sure you wake them up by moving (like you did on the bike and 5 minutes on the treadmill).

 
At January 13, 2012 at 6:42 AM , Blogger Bzybee said...

I have only missed 2 days since the beginning of December for exercise.. an injury right now would be awful. I hope you get better soon!

 
At January 13, 2012 at 6:48 AM , Blogger Mom on a mission said...

My husband is always getting after me to stretch, now I can see why:) Take it easy today and then back at it:) Good luck at your weigh in!

 
At January 13, 2012 at 6:48 AM , Anonymous NancyK said...

Kelly - so sorry about the injury and hope you are back up and running soon! You can always do some weights with your upper body sitting on a weight bench.
And way to go on starting the C25K. I tried it last year (I can't run to save my life) and could not get past running more than 1/3 of a mile. I am now doing some high intensity interval running/walking and can feel my legs gaining strength so I may try C25K later on this year.

 
At January 13, 2012 at 12:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly, you have to be so careful when you go from being a sedentary to a nomatic person...take your friend's stretch advice...try not to get to the C25K to quickly that you derail your weight loss goals. Keep it simple and keep it real. Hugs Marion

 
At January 13, 2012 at 4:25 PM , Blogger Mely said...

I'm sorry Kelly. I hope that you recovers fast. For now on just be more careful because it can get sprained after the first injury.

 
At January 13, 2012 at 5:29 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Booooo! But on the bright side it sounds like you have really fantastic friends that you can call upon in time of need!! Here's hoping for a speedy recovery so you can get back to feeling like your normal self :-)

 
At January 15, 2012 at 4:31 AM , Blogger Tim said...

I think this post has given me a kick up the butt because I NEVER stretch and I know just how important it is to do so.

I hope you get better soon!

 
At January 15, 2012 at 9:31 AM , Blogger Em said...

hey girl! Just found your blog randomly and it looks like you are a fellow "colorado-ite"! Just stopping in to say hello and love your blog :)

 
At January 19, 2012 at 8:52 AM , Blogger Momma Buzz said...

I couldn't agree more with you on taking time to rest so as not to make it worse. What does your gymnast coach friend think of you doing Yoga instead? I mean, would you even feel comfortable doing some simple yoga stretches so that you still feel like you've been active? OR... I injured my back around this time last year and I just did some very light and slow walking on the treadmill. But you do what you have to do for yourself and what feels comfortable to you, ya know. I hope you're feeling better soon so you can get back into your new-found groove!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home