This Page

has been moved to new address

New Recipe: Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
No Thanks to Cake: New Recipe: Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls

Monday, January 2, 2012

New Recipe: Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls

I spent New Year's Eve with some new friends who were so nice to invite me over.  Their only request was that I bring an appetizer... Appetizers are like the most yummy foods out there.  Of course, I'd be happy to bring one.


I have a few ol' stand-bys that are crowd pleasers, but I decided to branch out and try a new one from one of my favorite bloggers - Can You Stay for Dinner?


I love ANYTHING buffalo.  That spicy goodness... it's just my favorite.  As a BONUS:  Andie posted that these egg rolls only have 103 calories each!!   PERFECT!  It also gave me the opportunity to perfect my egg-rolling skills.  These were my first egg rolls ever... so easy!


Before we get onto my healthy, yummy appetizer... I have to confess that I met a new dip at this party.  Oh, I should never try new dips.  I fall for them so quickly.  This one was a BLT Dip, with no "L" and after I had enjoyed it for a while I found out that the secret ingredient was bacon grease??!!  It was so tasty and worth every bite, worth every extra minute I spent at the gym yesterday morning - - Yum-O.


BUFFALO CHICKEN EGG ROLLS
Adapted from Can You Stay for Dinner?
Makes 12


INGREDIENTS

1 cup cooked and shredded chicken 
12 egg roll wrappers (roughly 4 square inches)
1/2- 2/3 cup Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella or blue cheese crumbles
2 scallions, sliced (optional)
Nonstick cooking spray
Small bowl of water
1 cup broccoli slaw or cole slaw (dry)
Ranch or Blue Cheese dressing, for dipping

INSTRUCTIONS
1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lay egg roll wrappers on a clean work surface. In a small bowl, stir chicken and hot sauce until well coated, using more or less sauce depending on your spice preference. The meat should be moist with sauce.



2.  Begin by placing one tablespoon of the broccoli slaw on the diagonal of the bottom right corner of one of the wrappers. Next, place 2 tablespoons of shredded spicy chicken evenly on top of the slaw. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the cheese over the chicken. Add one extra splash of hot sauce and sprinkle with scallions.  Be careful not to overfill.


3.  To fold: Fold the bottom right corner over the stuffing mixture so that it covers it completely, with the tip of the corner now pointing to the center of the egg roll wrapper. Fold in the bottom left corner, followed by the right, so that you now have formed an envelope. Roll the wrap upward one time, leaving the top left corner open. Wet your index finger in the small bowl of water and press to moisten the top left corner. Now fold that down on top of the filled roll, sealing it like you would an envelope.  Repeat with remaining rolls.



4.  Place the rolls on a greased cookie sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Spritz each roll evenly with nonstick cooking spray and sprinkle lightly with salt. Bake for 20 minutes (turning each roll over about 1/2 way through the process.)  Bake until the rolls turn golden brown.

You can also bake on a wire rack, but I recommend using just the cookie sheet for crispier rolls.

 5.  Serve with Ranch or Blue Cheese Dressing as a dipping sauce.  Garnish the tray with carrots and celery for something extra.


ENJOY!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At January 2, 2012 at 9:32 AM , Blogger Erin said...

Those look delicious!!!!! Have you ever heard of buffalo chicken dip? My sister makes it and when I saw this post I instantly thought of it - if you don't already know it, I have a feeling you'd LOVE it!

 
At January 2, 2012 at 1:59 PM , Blogger No Thanks to Cake said...

I've heard of it, but haven't ever tried it. I knoooow I would love it, but I need to try to stay away from dip for a few weeks...

 
At January 6, 2012 at 8:54 AM , Blogger Momma Buzz said...

I loooovvvvveeeeee egg rolls and buffalo anything as well..

Buffalo Chicken Dip is amazing, but I understand your need to stay away from the awesome dips. Have you ever tried these pretzels crisps: http://pretzelcrisps.com/190/

They're pretty good for satisfying a buff craving..

 
At January 6, 2012 at 9:04 PM , Blogger No Thanks to Cake said...

@Hil - I have chip issues too... probably worse than my dip issues. I really try to keep them for special occasions... I just have no control.

 
At January 17, 2012 at 10:37 PM , Anonymous Jennifer Waitkus said...

These look like the best thing ever! I'm seriously going to buy ingredients and make them tomorrow! I wonder if the kids will like them? Hmmm...

 
At January 25, 2012 at 4:31 PM , Anonymous Melissa said...

These are great! I made them tonight for dinner along with a side of stir-fry veggies. My husband and I both enjoyed them. They were surprisingly quicker and easier to fix than I anticipated. Thanks for the recipe!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home