This Page

has been moved to new address

Simply Grateful

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
No Thanks to Cake: Simply Grateful

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Simply Grateful

Being on this journey for as long as I have been, I'm beginning to feel comfortable in my skin again.  I look in the mirror and I like what I see... FINALLY.  Even on quiet days alone, I have moments of reflection and satisfaction of what I've accomplished.  I'm proud of myself.  

Now, something that I don't expect quite yet is for people I know to see what I see.  I know that losing 75 lbs. is pretty dramatic.  I know the transformation that's happened, but tonight I was flooded with amazed eyes and compliments in a very unexpected place.

Each year, my client holds a huge event to celebrate the new year and what's to come.  Tonight was the big party. As I have for the past 4 years, I got myself dressed in my professional best and headed out to celebrate with them.

I'm a huge "people person", so I love this event.  It's like a reunion of sorts, where I get a chance to say hello to everyone... thank them for all their hard work and catch up.

Just the same, these are the people I work with.  I don't expect them to notice that I've lost the weight, nor do I expect them to mention it.  I expect them to talk to me about work topics and move on.  The group is probably 65% male... so, it made what happened even more unexpected.

I was absolutely overwhelmed tonight.  People I know well, people I see every day, the folks I see once a year, upper level managers, lower level managers, consultants.... you name it, I heard SUCH kind words from all.  The funny thing is that they probably don't realize how it even affected me tonight.  I'm certain most don't.

How can you be surprised each time someone says something nice?  I really don't know, but for some reason I always am.  My response is always the same, "Oh, thank you so much.  That's so nice of you to say."  I also carefully dodge the "how much have you lost?" question with "Thanks, it's been an awesome year."  These are almost filler statements for me when what I'm really thinking is "Seriously, you notice?"  

Of course, they notice.  How could they not?  But in my world, I'm sometimes still that overweight girl who blends into the wallpaper and doesn't get this type of attention.  I continue to work on it, but I'm still a work in progress.  

I share this with you because many of you are going to have moments like this (or many of you already have.)  Know that this post is not boastful, instead grateful and utterly amazed by the kindness of others.  It's a little more emotional than what I usually share, but it was an emotional night... unbeknownst to most of the people who I interacted with.

I seriously work with some of the nicest people.  And, eventually, I'll figure out how to accept a compliment.  


And, even though they won't be reading tonight, I thank them for taking a moment out of their night to make mine.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At January 19, 2012 at 1:37 AM , Blogger Emily said...

That's fantastic and you deserve every last bit of the praise :D

 
At January 19, 2012 at 4:31 AM , Blogger Mom on a mission said...

Love it when others appreciate and acknowledge hard work:)

 
At January 19, 2012 at 10:01 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Your choice of words is so funny because I just said to a friend of mine yesterday that I am "a work in progress" and her response to me ABSOLUTELY applies to you...you are a masterpiece! Congrats!

 
At January 19, 2012 at 10:31 AM , Blogger Momma Buzz said...

I agree with the other Kelly - you are SOOOO deserving of those compliments. We all know how hard it is to lose weight. It's a daily challenge! I remember very well this feeling from back in 2004 when I lost 50 lbs and the comments I would receive were astounding to me. I even cried a few times when people complimented me. I don't know why it's so hard to accept a compliment, especially over something we definitely should be so incredibly proud of (and I think we both are!).. but still. The fact that people are selfless enough to pay you (or anyone) the respect of a compliment is humbling.

Ironically, a similar incident happened to me in the restroom today. A woman who I only ever say hello to in passing, said to me that she hasn't seen me since before Christmas, but noticed that I am losing weight. So she went on to pay me some compliments and it was just so... NICE of her to acknowledge my efforts. That seriously drove some major motivation into me. I cannot imagine how successful I could be if people said stuff like that to me all the time!

 
At January 19, 2012 at 10:35 AM , Blogger Momma Buzz said...

ugh.. not with the "other kelly".. the otherS, kelly!

 
At January 19, 2012 at 12:58 PM , Blogger brown beth said...

Kelly - that's wonderful!! So excited for you and know how much that meant. :o)

 
At January 19, 2012 at 5:02 PM , Anonymous NancyK said...

Kelly - you have given so much of yourself and your time in sharing this journey. You deserve every one of those compliments. You've inspired me not to give up. And girl - look at your picture - you are awesome!!!!!

 
At January 19, 2012 at 7:41 PM , Blogger mama.on.the.move said...

i love comments like that. they are one of the things that can keep that motivation up when everything seems hard. you deserved everything they said, well done!

 
At January 19, 2012 at 8:56 PM , Blogger No Thanks to Cake said...

@All - Thank you all for your kind words. Here's to taking compliments better in the future!

 
At January 20, 2012 at 7:47 AM , Blogger Erin said...

Awww you totally deserve this!!! You know you've done the work and it's paid off, but no matter what it's always so nice to hear others back it up.

 
At January 20, 2012 at 1:30 PM , Blogger Tim said...

Awesome!!!

Btw, I totally know what you mean about compliments. Even now I find them hard to accept.

 
At January 23, 2012 at 9:47 AM , Blogger Robin said...

What a beautiful post Kell! I'm so glad you got the very deserved compliments! I have been lucky to watch your journey and you look GORGEOUS!!!!!! I know how hard that is to accept, I'm with you on that, but you really do! And to the people who ask how much we've lost, I say now, enough that you noticed. ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home