This Page

has been moved to new address

New Recipe: Our Favorite Taco Salad

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
No Thanks to Cake: New Recipe: Our Favorite Taco Salad

Monday, December 26, 2011

New Recipe: Our Favorite Taco Salad

And, just like that.... Christmas was GONE!




After all that shopping, all that wrapping, and all that anticipation, it vanishes so quickly!


Trampoline Fun
We had a great time here in Virginia.  My niece and nephew proved themselves to be EVEN cuter than last year at Christmas time.


Before opening presents...
Our little Hugh Hefner in his Star Wars pajamas
But, now, it's time to get serious... and to get back on track.  I've got one more day until I travel home.  Once I get home, the Y and I will be friends once again.  Working to burn all the extra calories from a midnight snack of mashed potatoes, stuffing, and gravy... and all the cocktail weinies I ate at a friend's Christmas party.


Until then, I offer you one of my family's FAVORITE recipes. We ate it on Christmas Eve; we ate it on the Cape this summer.  We always eat it!


It's simple.  It's easy.  It's a crowd-pleaser.  You'll love it!


PAULA DEEN'S TACO SALAD

Hey Y'all, This is the ONLY known butter-free Paula Deen recipe in existence.
I heard you gasp.  I know, I know.  When you think of Paula, you think of decadent, Southern, butter-dripping delights... but this one is COMPLETELY butter-free and can be made healthy!  I promise, you're safe!


If you're feeling slug-like and glued to the couch, this is an easy recipe to help you feed your remaining guests and feel like you're still indulging (even though you're not.)


Below you'll find our very own healthified adaptation of this tasty salad.


PAULA DEEN'S TACO SALAD
Adapted from Food Network



INGREDIENTS

  • 2 ripe tomatoes, diced
  • 8 oz. reduced fat cheddar cheese, cubed or shredded
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 2 heads romaine lettuce, washed, drained and torn
  • 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey, browned, crumbled, drained, and rinsed
  • 1 cup light Catalina salad dressing
  • 1 can kidney beans, drained (optional)
  • 1 (7-ounce) bag Baked Doritos
  • 1 cup salsa


INSTRUCTIONS
Combine the tomatoes, cheese, onion, lettuce, and ground beef in a large bowl. Add the salad dressing and mix well. Just before serving, add the Baked Doritos, tossing to combine with other ingredients. Top each serving with salsa and kidney beans. Serve in bowls.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At December 26, 2011 at 10:11 AM , Blogger Erin said...

Mmmmmm I love taco salad so I'm definitely going to give your modified recipe above a go!!!

 
At December 26, 2011 at 11:41 AM , Blogger jimpurdy1943@yahoo.com said...

I really don't know anything about Paula Deen, but my first and only impression of her months ago was not good.

That probably explains why, when I read your salad ingredients, including a bag of Baked Doritos. I thought at first that it said a "bag of Baked Donuts."

 
At December 27, 2011 at 4:39 PM , Anonymous NancyK said...

I honestly thought you had gone off the deep end when I saw Paula Deens photo!!! But the recipe looks great!

 
At December 27, 2011 at 8:14 PM , Blogger No Thanks to Cake said...

@NancyK - You gave me a good laugh with that one. Seriously, not off the deep end, it's tasty! :)

@Jim - Baked Donuts... those aren't quite on my program. But, I can see where you would think that when you think of Paula...

@Erin - Seriously tasty. Enjoy!!! I leave the cheese off too, because I'm not a big cheese eater. It's SO good!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home