This Page

has been moved to new address

My Favorite Salad

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
No Thanks to Cake: My Favorite Salad

Saturday, October 15, 2011

My Favorite Salad

Last Saturday I went to a friend's house to watch the Nebraska-Ohio State game and to have dinner.  I volunteered to bring salad, and brought my all-time favorite salad.  


INDIVIDUAL LAYERED SALADS


I love these salads because you can customize the ingredients and they look so cute!  They also can be made ahead, which makes them perfect for dinner parties.


You need a small tumbler glass to get you started.  I bought plastic ones at Target to use just for this dish.  Add a small amount of dressing to the bottom of the glass.  I always add a garlicky vinaigrette, but you really could add anything you like!  








I also always add lots of COLORS to the salad.  That's what makes it look great from the side!  For this batch, I used cucumbers, yellow bell peppers, sliced grape tomatoes, and red onions + lettuce of course. 


Once you've added all your chopped veggies, it's time to add the lettuce.  I'm a HUGE fan of butter lettuce these days (AKA Bibb), so that's what I used for this salad!  




I wrapped up these little guys with plastic wrap and kept them in the fridge until it was party time.  I also always make an extra one to eat another day! 


When you're ready to eat your salad, grab a plate, and get ready to pour out all the tasty ingredients!



 



The dressing at the bottom of the cup pours down over the salad - - Delish!  


While this was a traditional garden salad, imagine what you could do with avocado and salsa making a mexi-salad?  Or maybe a tasty caesar with shredded parmesan and a delicious caesar dressing?  You could easily add protein and make it more of a meal as well. 


Now for the fun part, layering your veggies! The first veggie that you add needs to be one that will be only better once it marinades in the dressing a little.  I usually put tomatoes or cucumbers at the bottom, but totally your choice.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At October 15, 2011 at 10:33 AM , Blogger Taryn said...

Mmmm looks yummy!

 
At October 15, 2011 at 2:27 PM , Blogger Laurel Petty said...

what a totally AWESOME idea!!! LOVE it!

 
At October 15, 2011 at 3:29 PM , Anonymous Lea said...

Hi I'm a new reader and i just wanted to say i find your blog very inspiring and helpful!

Also... I love this salad idea. It's so versatile and definitely a good way to "mix" up the salad without actually mixing it :) I will definitely be trying it this week!

 
At October 15, 2011 at 11:21 PM , Anonymous DebO said...

Love the fabulous salads!!

 
At October 19, 2011 at 10:09 PM , Blogger No Thanks to Cake said...

@Lea - - Thanks for stopping by! We try to have a little fun here at NTTC while losing weight, too. Welcome! :) Are you a JC'er?

Also, I've found the layered salad to be just a nice variation on the same ol' same ol'. My friends really seem to like them, too (like Deb, who enjoyed them last week with me!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home