This Page

has been moved to new address

Battling Emotional Eating

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
No Thanks to Cake: Battling Emotional Eating

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Battling Emotional Eating


I know that I usually share recipes and fun stuff on this blog, but tonight... I feel like I have to take it down a notch.  We'll return to our regularly scheduled programming tomorrow, but for tonight, I need to share.

Tonight, I had a rough night.  I got some news that I wasn't expecting.  Not terrible news, just disappointing. 


Good News: I was already in pajamas when the news came in.  Bad News: Even pajamas didn't make me feel better.

Dinner was just around the corner, and unfortunately, I had all sorts of thoughts of what I wanted to eat.  And, none of them were good.


Chinese food sounded awesome.  Especially the RICE.


Italian food also sounded amazing.  Like the REAL deal with a big hunk of bread and a glass of wine.

NOTE:  I do know that JC has similar meals available, but know that I had ZERO interest in those meals.  I wanted the bad stuff.

Instead of eating the bad stuff, well... I sat down and had two bags of Jenny Craig Cheese Curls.  I know that doesn't sound that horrible.  But, the habit of eating when you're sad is one I need to continue to work on.

Before I started Jenny Craig last year, I read a book about Emotional Eating that REALLY made me think about my eating habits.  There was a LOT of things in the book that I could relate to.  The triggers for when I ate.  The feelings that I would stuff down with food.  And, that numb feeling you feel when you eat too much.

I ate when I was lonely.  I ate when I was sad.  I ate when I felt fat.  Bottom line:  I ate.

I wish I could say that I've completely conquered this.  I still have slip-ups, like today... but I try to think about what it's worth to me before I grab the fork.  I also think of how much less I'd have to eat on other days and how much I'd have to workout to burn off excess.  It's just not worth it.  

If you're an emotional eater too.... the doughnut never REALLY makes you feel better.  When you've eaten that ring o' dough, the issue is still there.

I'm coming up on my one-year anniversary with Jenny Craig.  My plan is to try to conquer this in year two.  Eating her way through life was the old me, and I refuse to allow it to be the way the new me lives.  

How do you tackle emotional eating? 

Labels:

4 Comments:

At October 14, 2011 at 8:28 AM , Blogger Momma Buzz said...

I struggle with this exact same issue. What were your overall thoughts on the book? Do you recommend it for someone like myself who has the same issues?

 
At October 14, 2011 at 9:59 AM , Anonymous Jill said...

Oh gosh, this the battle of my life. One thing I've learned is that it's okay to feel what you are feeling. In fact, embrace it and say to yourself "man this really sucks right now, doesn't it?" Talk to yourself about how you are feeling - give it words and don't be afraid to express it. The simple act of saying to yourself "I care about this feeling" is very powerful in warding off the temptation to turn to food for comfort. I hope you are feeling better today and I hope this helps! :)

 
At October 14, 2011 at 12:10 PM , Anonymous Mel said...

I've never posted before, but it looks like you and I were in the same mood last night... I ate 2 cookies and then some homemade cookie dough. So I hear you. My mantra since I started my journey has been "if hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the answer". Not sure where this mantra was last night, but it has helped numerous other times.

 
At October 14, 2011 at 8:07 PM , Blogger No Thanks to Cake said...

@Hilary - I really liked the book. I'm not the best at doing the "exercises" they recommend, but I enjoyed reading the detail of the book. I might recommend getting it from the library and seeing what you think. That's what I did, and ended up buying it.

@Jill - I'm totally going to try the words you shared. Thanks so much!

@Mel - While it's nice to know I'm not alone, I say let's kick this habit.... AND... Cookies + dough sound so yummy!!! It's been a LOOOONG time since I've had dough. Sigh!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home